moisture

Old 05-07-00, 05:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

i recently noticed that all of my cold water pipes in the basement are sweating a lot and dripping. i also have found condensation around that edge of a french drain. i have been running a dehumidifier non-stop, but doesn't seem to be doing anything. is there some way to correct these problems?

Old 05-08-00, 03:56 AM
Visiting Guest
My first question would be is your de-humidifier large enough for your basement, and are you draining the water from it every
day. I would probably also put a fan down in your basement to help dry things. You have moisture basically because of the difference in temps.

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 05-08-00, 01:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Jack, as usual, is right on. Put an exhaust fan in your basement. I had the exact same problem for years in a 3' crawlspace (dripping pipes and AC ducts, damp wood, etc.), and finally keep it bone dry, even with excessive air and ground moisture here in coastal NC. Called W.W. Grainger, gave them the cubic footage of crawlspace, and they recommended a minimum 250 cfm fan. Put in a 580 cfm, 10" louvered exhaust fan in cspace door, opened all vents, and it uses zip power (1/30th hp motor). Runs 24/7. No moisture problems. Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by OldGuy (edited May 08, 2000).]

Old 05-19-00, 07:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Mike, another suggestion would be to try a Humidex, manufactured by Air Tech Equipment Ltd of Shediac, New Brunswick, Canada (Toll Free 1-800-416-9111). It is really a glorified fan, but very easily installed and effective. I live on the ocean in Nova SCotia and it works for me!! Proper ventilation is necessary, of course.

Good luck.

Marilyn

quote:<HR>Originally posted by mike90210:

i recently noticed that all of my cold water pipes in the basement are sweating a lot and dripping. i also have found condensation around that edge of a french drain. i have been running a dehumidifier non-stop, but doesn't seem to be doing anything. is there some way to correct these problems?
<HR>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: