Installing a closet under the stairs

Old 06-08-00, 12:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

We just bought a house and there isn't a closet in one of the bedrooms in the basement. I know that there is a way to put in a closet under the stairs where most people waste valuable storage, and it looks relatively easy. Any suggestions or books, etc.

Old 06-09-00, 07:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Just some basic carpentry skills and some good pre-planning are all you really need.

Plan it out completely before you ever buy a single stick of lumber or a pound of nails.

Use quality materials and do not cut corners.

Do a good job on the finishing touches and you'll really be pleased with your work.

I have some good advice on basic carpentry skills at my website http://www.carpenter.cjb.net Go to the "Catalog of services/ DIY help" section and browse through.

More than a Carpenter

Old 06-15-00, 12:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Pay close attention to fire codes when using space under stairs. The stairs are particularly important to protect from fire, since they represent an important escape route. I believe that most codes will require you to install 5/8" fire rated drywall on the inside of the area under the stairs if you are going to store anything there. When the whole basement is on fire, you'll appreciate it if the stairs are still there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: