leaking basement

Old 07-07-00, 02:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

We bought a house a couple of months ago and discovered that the basement leaks! There are puddles of standing water everywhere! We've checked the gutters, the downspouts and the grading, but everything is fine. Just today we found water in the basement and it didn't even rain in the past couple of days!!! We live on a hill and most of our neighbors have dry, finished basements without the need of a sump pump. I just want to know where our water could possibly be coming from!

Old 07-17-00, 03:10 PM
Visiting Guest
If your basement is humid enough, you could have cold water pipes and/or a/c ducts sweating and pooling.

Old 08-21-00, 10:37 AM
Visiting Guest
The water, quite possibly, could be coming up through the concrete. Concrete has the ability to wick water from several feet below.

A simple test to determine whether this is the case or not: tape a section of plastic to the floor, be sure to seal all of the edges well with strong tape, duct tape will probably hold it. Check on it over several days. If condensation builds up, you know for sure where the water is coming from.

If this is the case, my advice would be to stabilize and waterproof the concrete with a good penetrating sealant. EverCrete DPS would solve this type of problem. It's a non-toxic, odorless alkali activated penetrating sealant. It soaks deep into the concrete and forms a barrier internally which will hold a hydrostatic head-thus preventing the water from being wicked up into your basement.

It might take 2-3 application before all of the seepage is stopped, but you just use the above 'plastic test' to determine whether or not another application is necessary.

You can find out more about it at: http://www.SolvingConcreteProblems.c...nformation.htm

Hope this helps.

Old 08-21-00, 10:49 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by jimily:
We bought a house a couple of months ago and discovered that the basement leaks! There are puddles of standing water everywhere! We've checked the gutters, the downspouts and the grading, but everything is fine. Just today we found water in the basement and it didn't even rain in the past couple of days!!! We live on a hill and most of our neighbors have dry, finished basements without the need of a sump pump. I just want to know where our water could possibly be coming from!<HR>

Don't know where you are located, but the best way I know to troubleshoot is to wait for a bad thunderstorm, with large amounts of rain in a short duration. You need to antipate this occurence and have rain gear handy, some way to mark the places water is entering the house, etc. Hope this helps,

Rick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: