DAMP CRAWLSPACE&SAGGING JOICE

Old 09-21-00, 05:35 PM
Visiting Guest
MY HOUSE SITS OVER A CRAWLSPACE THAT IS DAMP. THE DAMPNESS HAS CAUSED THE JOICE TO SAGG. I NEED TO JACK THE JOICE UP. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO DO THIS. THE ENTRENCE TO THE CRAWLSPACE IS IN A COLSET.I WOULD LIKE TO USE STEEL BEAMS TO REPLACE THE SAGGING JOICE, BUT THERE IS NO ROOM TO PUT A JOICE OF ANY SIZE IN THE CRAWLSPACE. WHAT CAN BE DONE TO FIX THIS PROBLEM. THANKS RPEARCY

Old 09-22-00, 03:15 AM
Visiting Guest
I would not replace a sagging joist. I would not even replace a broken joist. Taht is a big bad job. I would rent a couple of 20 ton jacks, a 4 to 6' long treated 4x4, 2-8x16x2" concrete pads and some cement blocks, a few hardwood shims. Crawl under, and lay the 4x4 across several joists, with the sagging joist in the middle, place the jack under that joist, jack up the 4x4, which will jack up the joist, then block the joist up. This is a very common proplem. we fix these all the time. Good Luck

Old 09-22-00, 04:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

The next thing that you need to do is to ventilate that crawlspace. Look into getting an exhaust fan or two to install in vents. They make them to fit in standard vent openings. Good Luck!

Old 09-28-00, 02:20 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jack the Contractor:
I would not replace a sagging joist. I would not even replace a broken joist. Taht is a big bad job. I would rent a couple of 20 ton jacks, a 4 to 6' long treated 4x4, 2-8x16x2" concrete pads and some cement blocks, a few hardwood shims. Crawl under, and lay the 4x4 across several joists, with the sagging joist in the middle, place the jack under that joist, jack up the 4x4, which will jack up the joist, then block the joist up. This is a very common proplem. we fix these all the time. Good Luck<HR>

JACK: WOULD IT BE OK IF I MADE MY OWN CONCRETE PADS, WITH WIRE SCREEN IN THE PADS.

[This message has been edited by RPEARCY (edited September 28, 2000).]

Old 10-04-00, 09:46 AM
Visiting Guest
JACK THE CONTRACOTR:
JACK YOU GAVE ME AN ANSWER TO REPAIRING SAGGING JOICE, AND HOW TO RAISE THEM. WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW, IS CAN I MAKE MY OWN COCRETE PADS 8X2X16 WITH WIRE IN THEM. THANKS

Old 10-04-00, 11:18 AM
Visiting Guest
If Joyce is sagging, your idea of underwire is good.

Old 11-16-08, 06:56 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The pad and concreate blocks are to support the weight as well as prevent the wood comming into contact with termites and water in the soil. By the way termites like damp wood. The pads distribute the weight as to prevent them from sinking into the soil, for most soil types a pad 6 to 8 inches thick and 18 inches long and 18 inches wide is good. Rebar would be better than wire should be placed about 2 inches from the bottom of the slab. That would be 2 inches of concreate then rebar, then 6 inches more concreate. The concreate blocks should be placed hole side up for strength, the same way they would be laid in a wall. After the pads have cured stack the blocks as high as you can with the beam on top. The beam should extend past the blocks to the next joice on each end if possible. Use the jacks inside the two sets of blocks to rase the saging joice and beam, then shim up the beam on top of the blocks with the hardwood, again shims should extend past both sides of the blocks to spread the load across the whole suport block.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: