Basements

Old 10-25-00, 04:25 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a crawl space which has a dirt floor. I would like to convert it into a storage room. What would be the easiest and cheapest way to put a floor in. Also should I install some vents. My bloiler for my hot water heating is in the crawl space, so this has to be consider when I doing this.

Old 11-04-00, 04:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Fast & easy fix would be to put poly down to prevent dampness from entering the crawl, and yes, ventilation of the crawl is advisable. Approx. one square foot of vent ports for every 300 sq. ft. of area. You can, if accessable, pour a three inch concrete slab.

Old 11-05-00, 08:24 AM
Visiting Guest
I can't pour a cement slab. No way to get the cement to crawl. I was thinking about just putting a wood floor with 1/2 osd, would this be alright?

Old 11-05-00, 10:04 AM
Visiting Guest
OSB (I'm not familiar with "osd" -- I hope that's just a typo) won't last very long in a wet environment (how long depends on how wet), but you can do it. You might want to consider some pressure treated 2x4s as sleepers under the OSB. You also might want to consider exterior plywood rather than OSB.

BTW, I'm surprised that a boiler in a crawl space passed inspection.

Old 11-05-00, 10:45 AM
Visiting Guest
I had planned on useing treated 2 x 4. Any idea how much ext. plywood is?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: