Comparing waterproofing products

Old 11-19-02, 08:24 AM
TyStick
Visiting Guest
Comparing waterproofing products

hey all - I am presently getting ready to waterproof the interior walls of my cinder block walkout basement (About half of the basement is below grade due to hillside) and am looking for advice on waterproofing paint. At my local Lowe's they have both Dryloc's (oil and Latex) but I will have to use the latex due to wife's senstivity of fumes and also they have a product in powder form called SunnyDry. I am leaning towards the SunnyDry due to price (which is one half) but do not know alot about it. Has anyone used this and how does it compare to DryLoc? The saleperson at Lowe's was not of help. SunnyDry is a cement based paint that you add water to and says it is waterproof also. And no fumes or oder it says?

My basement is new construction (6 months) and is already foundation waterproofed and blackboarded (both outside) where it is undergrade. I have had a little problem with water leakage on the walls but due to gutter problems not constant! What I am trying to do is cut down any molds and mildews and water from the basement. I am going to frame the walls (prob with drywall soon) so I am not to worried about the look of the walls although we will be using it for a while before framing. Well let me know what you all think and thanks.

Old 11-30-02, 10:56 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would not recommend water proofing your basement at this time. The reason for it is that it takes several months for the cement to cure and part of this curing process is the releasing of moisture. Also your basement is dry except for the problem with your gutter. Correct the problem with your gutters and that will probably do more for you to avoid moisture, mold and mildew in your basement than any water proofing product.

When it comes to moisture or humidity that create mold and mildew, your basement walls can either contribute to it or prevent it from occurring. For example, if the walls have a low moisture level inside them than the air in the basement, it will asorb the humidity in the air, making the basement dryer. Equilibrium Relative Humidity (ErH%). The reverse is also true, if the basement walls are seeping water into the basement, it will contribute to the increase humdity level in the air and other materials in the basement.

Because your basement is new, it is too soon to tell whether the walls will contribute to mold and mildew or prevent it. The same can be said about water proofing basement walls. Especially when you heat a basement because all heat has moisture in it and insulation does you stop heat flow that contains a percentage of moisture in it. Basement wall water proofing stops moisture from permeating the wall either from moisture coming from the outside or the humidity in heat traveling through insulation..

Old 06-09-09, 11:07 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Basements can be a tough area to keep dry. You can have a leak in your foundation or have moisture come up through the slab. The most common cause of basement moisture has do with the grading of the dirt on the outside of the block.
There are companies that supply whole systems and will come to the home to analyze exactly what is needed.

Source :
Value Dry Expert

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: