Average Refinishing Costs

Old 11-23-02, 07:48 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Average Refinishing Costs

Just curious what folks have seen for DIY refinishing costs. We're doing around 700 square feet of finished space, and including a bathroom, and minibar/kitchenette.

Even doing most of the work myself (just buying out plastering, heating, and plumbing) I'm around $30 per square. Does that sound right???

What have you found your projects to cost out to?

Dan

Old 11-23-02, 09:58 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Estimating remodeling project costs

One site that lists estimates for repairs and remodels is www.homeinspectorlocator.com. Costs of material and labor tend to vary, depending on what part of the country you are in. Costs also vary depending on the size of the house and materials used.

Old 11-23-02, 03:45 PM
J
Costs vary wildly, depending on what you want in that basement. There are $20 sink faucets, and $1200 sink faucets. Choices such as this can affect your costs dramatically.

I finished my basement for about $15 a square foot of finished space (800 square feet finished). 100% of the labor was mine. My refinish included a bathroom, a bedroom, a rec room, an office and a TV room. It took me 18 months of nights and weekends.

The most expensive part of that cost was 600 square feet of #1 3/4" solid red oak hardwood flooring, which accounted for about $3000 of the cost. Flooring is often the most expensive part of the project.

The bathroom was the second most expensive part (about $2000). The drywall was the third most expensive (about $1800). Framing was about $1600. Then the doors at about $800. Then the lighting fixtures (about $500). Then the painting (two coats of primer and two top coats on everything for about $500). Permits were about $350. The rest was insulation, wiring and boxes and breakers, HVAC, and miscellaneous.

I put in a subpanel with seven circuits, and I drywalled everything, including the ceiling. The rough-in for the bathroom was already there (which is a tremendous help).

Things that I didn't count in the above costs were replacement of all the windows, the furniture, and the custom shelving.

Old 11-23-02, 07:09 PM
D
Ref: John's reply

John,

Thanks - that was very helpful! I'm running way over on my estimate, but there are some big items I wasn't planning on trying to tackle myself:

Plumbing - I intend to outsource all of this as I'm nervous about digging into the pad, patching the floor, etc etc. $3-4000 for all of the plumbing excluding fixtures.

Heat - We're in the northeast, so adding a zone onto the boiler, and running a heating loop. I can't find anyone willing to recommend just adding a vent from the 1st floor hydroair system. $1500

Plaster - The rest of the house is plastered, so it seemed to make sense to do the same in this space. Bids I've gotten are all in the 3-4k range.

Dan

Old 11-23-02, 09:27 PM
T
Finishing a basement

Don't forget to check in with your local building inspector regarding Codes, permits, and inspections before you begin your project.

Old 11-24-02, 06:12 AM
D
Permits/Code

Very true. My local building department basically told me to get my rough framing and electrical done, then call them to inspect. Regarding specifics, I showed them how I was framing (16" O.C.) and showed them the book I was using for electrical guidelines and they say I was OK.

Dan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: