Help a newbie out

Old 11-26-02, 01:04 AM
ephiny526
Visiting Guest
Help a newbie out

hello,

i'm relatively new to the forums. i have a question about my basement. it's been in disuse for a really long time, over 30 years. my dad never did anything to fix it up. the floor is all sand. i live on the beach, so i don't know if that's common everywhere else. what should i do to get started? do i do walls first? floors first? if i do floors, what should i do with the sand? any help is appreciated.

thank you,

eileen

Old 11-26-02, 12:15 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You have to do a lot of planning first. You are probably going to want a cement floor. If you add 6 to 8 inches to the floor, will that lift give you the desired ceiling height? If not, it means you have to dig out the sand to a depth to provide you that ceiling height. Also, you cannot dig down pass your foundation.

The next consideration is the pumbing. How old is it and what condition? Do you intend to have a commode, kitchen and/or shower installed? You have to decide this before you pour the floor.

Drainage is also another concern before your pour the floor. It would be prudent to install a drainage tile and a sump pump before you pour the floor. Also, no matter who tells you, insist that 3 inches of gravel be laid over the sand, 6 mil plastic over the gravel and 3 inches of cement over the plastic. And don't forget the cement re-inforcement metal mesh.

If you read through this forum, one of the questions always asked is "How do I attach the wood plate or metal studs to the cement floor?" If you know where the walls are going to be before you pour the floor, try anchor bolts.

The more you plan, the better off you are going to be.

Old 11-26-02, 12:39 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
"The more you plan, the better off you are going to be."

That's clearly the most important rule in basement finishing! Don't get in a hurry. I suggest you allow yourself a year just to learn and plan. If you're going to hire the work out, start getting estimates -- that will give you ideas too.

There are a lot of books on basement finishing too, both at your home center and public library. Start reading.

Old 12-08-02, 05:23 AM
Gary7
Visiting Guest
I find it interesting that you live on a beach and you have a basement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: