Framing inspection

Old 12-22-02, 04:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Framing inspection

I've been working on finishing my basement and decided to go the route of "doing it right", so I went and got myself a building permit. I'm pretty much done with framing the walls, and so it's getting to be time for that first inspection. Having not gone this route before, I'm wondering what to expect in terms of the framing inspection. I followed what I thought were the norms, ie, studs 16" on center, 16d sinkers for end nailing the studs, fireblock in each stud pocket, etc. The village I live didn't have any real guidelines on what rules to follow for framing (like you'd have, say, the NEC for electrical work), so, like I said, I was wondering what sort of things I can expect an inspector to, um, inspect. I know everyplace is probably pretty different, but if anyone had any general thoughts on what to look out for, I'd sure appreciate it!

Have a great holiday, folks!

Old 12-22-02, 06:33 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You might call the inspector and ask him what he'll be looking for.

Inadequate firestopping is pretty common. The nice thing about failing a framing inspection is that the problems are usually easy to fix. Just relax. Plan on a few problems. Be sure to be there for the inspection. Let us know how you do.
Old 12-22-02, 08:01 PM
Doug Aleshire's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 4,455
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Fire blocking is critical. This would also include issues surrounding installation of a suspended ceiling. Other issues would be W/T bottom plates - securely anchored. Soffits built around ductwork. Nailers in place for drywall application. Pipes going through top/bottom plates sealed with firestopping caulk or equivelant. Providing proper minimum headroom clearance in rooms. Providing proper clearances at stairway - sometimes framing can rob you of the room needed. Framing around furnace, water heater, electrical panel - minimum clearances must be maintained.

Your building official will make reference to these items and getting the requirements from them should be simple before he comes to inspect. Also, just make sure that this isn't a "combination inspection" - sometimes when you call for a rough in, they may want to have all rough in done for HVAC/Electrical and Plumbing. Some municipalities do it different but ask what their procedure is unless you already know. Building permits don't always tell you.

Hope this helps!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: