Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Do I need a Cold Air return in a Basement Bedroom

Old 12-29-02, 02:40 PM
KDB
Visiting Guest

I am currently finishing a Basement Bedroom. The room is 13' x 14'. The room adjacent to the bedroom is a large family room that is 30' x 25' and has plenty of cold air returns.

I plan on running a heat duct in the ceiling of the bedroom to blow heat down towards the floor. Is it absolutely necessary to have a cold air return duct installed in this basement bedroom?

Thanks

Old 12-29-02, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
KDB,

I'll try to answer this but you may want to post this question in the Repairs forum under heating.

I guess you first have to address what a F/A unit does. I will explain it like this. Forced air systems draw cool air from the home and supply warm filtered air to each room. Most forced air systems, TODAY have both a supply and return register serving EVERY every room. However, many forced-air systems have only one or two return registers.

Problems can occur when interior doors are shut like bedroom doors at night. Supply registers will pressurize some rooms, while areas equipped with return registers are depressurized. This pressure imbalance increases the likelihood of air leakage and heat loss throughout the building shell. I know at my folks that downstairs bedroom lacks a cold air return which means I wake up to a cold room. The heat is remaining above the 4 foot level and I freeze! Transfer grilles, jump ducts, or door undercuts may be used to mitigate these problems, especially when minimum returns are in place.

I would strongly urge the installation of one.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: