Basement wall - aluminum studs

Old 01-01-03, 08:52 PM
geekit
Visiting Guest
Basement wall - aluminum studs

I have a newer home 7 years old with an unfinished basement. I currently have blanket insulation on the top 4ft. of the block wall. I will remove the blanket insulation and paint the walls with dry lock water proof paint (while the wall is accessible).
The floor has a drainage ditch /sump around the perimeter 4" wide and 6" away from the wall.
I am considering using aluminum studs and not wood for the wall. I will insulate the walls w/faced R13 insulation then drywall.
Do you see any problems with using aluminum studs?

Old 01-02-03, 03:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
geekit,

I don't see anything wrong with using steel studs but a word of I caution;

1. If you intend to place the studs directly against the block wall, I would suggest leaving a space of 1" between stud and wall. IF in the event any moisture is on the block, this will get sucked into the insulation and ruin it.

2. Don't go any larger than the R-13 insulation in your wall and touch the block if you have the 1 inch space.

3. For extra protection, you could HANG 6 mil vapor barrier down from the joists behind the wall if you want to keep as much room within the basement. You still want to provide air movement behind the wall. This is why you want the 1 inch space.

Hope this helps and Happy New Year!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: