High water table in clay

Old 01-05-03, 09:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
High water table in clay

I own a 50 year old ranch approx. 1300 sq. ft., with poured basement walls. I wish to remodel the basement in the near future, but am taking care of two leaks first. The first leak seems to be ok, but the second is my problem. Both have a unfinished(just the chiseled path)french cut in the wall, then a chiseled path in the floor which leads past the footing and into a drilled hole into the earth approx 1ft. deep.
The first hole seems to drain just fine, the second doesn't drain fast enough and water spills onto the floor. My problem I believe is just a high water table in heavy clay. There is a sump pump in the opposite corner which rarely turns on, with no drain tile(inside or outside). Also downspouts seem to be just fine, exiting away from the house. One other problem with the second leak is that it is on the driveway side of the house up next to the foundation. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-05-03, 04:04 PM
kcflip,

My guess is that you should highly consider installing drain tile. A sump pump with drain tile is just doing nothing when you have water coming in at other areas. What good is a chiseled path?

Since you wish to finish the basement, this may be the best solution and excellent time to install interior drain tile. Look at previous posts concerning drain tile applications.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-06-03, 05:25 PM
Doug, thanks for the reply.
The chiseled path as I have been told is a somewhat common repair for this problem. I believe it is called a French Cut and it involves chiseling out along the crack on the interior, laying 1/2 of a 3/4" pvc pipe inside the path, going down the wall and cementing it over. Also knocking out the floor, past the footing, again using 1/2 of a piece of pvc to route the water down the wall and into the earth under the floor.
As I am to undersatnd, this works very well.
Do you agree? Have you heard of this?
Do you see a problem with this procedure?
Thanks Kevin

Old 01-06-03, 05:51 PM
Kevin,

I honestly cannot give you any feedback on this method. I am used to the more extensive version of 4" perforated drain tile, stone going on the insider or outside based on project design.

I think the chiseled approach is just a band-aid and doesn't do anything other than just take care of the immediate problem. What you describe I cannot give you any advice but possibly others can. I just don't know.

I have fears that routing this into a hole back into the soils below the slab is almost like "recycling" water. No guarantee that it will be dispersed once in soils and without the traditional drain tile application, the water just doesn't go anywhere and it can continue to do its thing, over and over again.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: