digout basement

Old 01-19-03, 09:30 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
digout basement

I am considering trying to dig out the basement by about a foot to give myself some decent head room. I know that the floor slab is independent of the structural concrete of the outside walls but If I dig it down another foot am I going to cave my house by underminding the footings? How much deeper than the floor do footings usually go?

I know that I am going to have to have this one inspected and permited and I wll go through that whole process but I am looking for ideas and feasibility.

Old 01-19-03, 09:52 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
It is possible that the walls and footings are a foot or more lower than the slab, but without plans the only way to find out is to dig a couple of test pits. What you want to do is possible, depending on the soil conditions and foundation type. There are several methods, however this work is advanced DIY at best. A structural/foundations engineer or contractor with experience in this kind of work is recomended.

Old 01-20-03, 11:07 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree on the engineer, but in your experience, am I OK if the new level of the floor is at or above the bottom of the footings?

Old 01-20-03, 07:58 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
If the top of the slab is above the footing, everything is fine. If this is the case, and the bottom of the slab extends slightly below the footing, form curbs along the walls. This will maintain lateral support at the bottom of the walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: