Basement walls and insulation

Old 01-29-03, 11:26 AM
chwilson0607
Visiting Guest
Question Basement walls and insulation

I'm getting ready to start a basement finishing project. My builder put insulation all around the perimeter walls. I don't believe there is any furring or any other type of studs attached to the concrete walls. My question is: if I'm not pressed hard for space, can I just start framing against the insulation or should I tear it all down, frame, then put in insulation between the studs?

Also - if the builder put up this insulation on the concrete walls, is it safe to assume they waterf-proofed the basement (either interior or exterior)? Thanks.

BTW, this is a great forum - I just found it today and have been reading lots of the posts - very very helpful stuff! Keep it going . . .

Carl

Old 01-29-03, 05:15 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's not an either/or. You can do both. Build a 2x4 stud wall up against the existing insulation (if the studs are touching but not overly compressing the insulation, it makes good firestopping). Then you can add more insulation between the studs if you want.

You can never make many assumptions about what the builder did. Chances are he did the minimum required by code. And there's really no such thing as a "waterproof" basement. Some are better at keeping the water out than others.

Have fun!

Old 01-29-03, 07:07 PM
chwilson0607
Visiting Guest
Wink Thanks John

Thanks for the quick response John. I think I'll take you up on the suggestion of placing the studs up against the existing insulation. As for the other issue, I'll check my paperwork and also check with the builder to see what they did (per code). Thanks again.

Carl

Old 02-05-03, 12:58 PM
MickeyD1
Visiting Guest
Question Basement Insulation

I wonder if I could expand on the dialoge a bit here. I also have a basement project with the basement walls already insulated by the builder. I'm putting up the 2x4 stud wall being careful not to compress the insulation. Now my insulation is about 2 inches or so with a vinyl vapor barrier. So can I also add insulation or does that compromise the existing insulation?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: