Treated wood plates

Old 02-02-03, 08:47 AM
chwilson0607
Visiting Guest
Question Treated wood plates

I'm sure this question has come up before but: what is the real deal when it comes to treated wood? I've read different opinions on using treated wood. Some have said not to use it because it is laced with Arsenic and could be hazardous to one's health (being inside the home). Others make no mention of problems like that . Thanks.

Carl

Old 02-02-03, 09:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carl ,

Using wood treated lumber as bottom plates is required by Code for use when in contact with concrete/masonry. You need this to prevent rot within the home. Failure to do so would cause major problems to standard 2x stock if used against concrete/masonry. In my opinion and from what EPA has stated, the use of such wood is not hazardous to your health nor to nature.

It appears that with most things, the issue of health concerns has been exaggerated by persons who have nothing better to do than to state unproven concerns, to make political statements that are totally unfounded. If these products were a threat to your health, you would hear about this through State and Local Building authorities and such use would be "BANNED" immediately.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-02-03, 12:36 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Well, they managed to create enough hysteria that CCA (Chromated Copper Arsenate) at retail is going to disappear soon. I think it was before the end of 2003. The newer treatments will of course cost more $$$$. I am hearing 15-25% more.
I agree with Doug the whole thing is overblown. CCA has a low solubility level, but it is not zero. Just about nothing is zero. Don't chew on the stuff or burn it and you will be fine.

Old 02-03-03, 03:24 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
The substitute for CCA is common here (Minneapolis). The trade name that Menards carries is AC2; due to a brain lock-up I can't remember the generic name. When I first heard about it about 4 years ago, it had to be special ordered and was quite expensive, but when I bought some last summer, some sizes were actually cheaper than CCA. In this area I understand CCA is now very difficult to buy.

I imagine people in "space suits" will someday be abating CCA from our homes, along with fiberglass insulation and whatever else the experts deem to be hazardous to our health.

Bruce

Old 02-03-03, 09:48 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Copper Azole and Copper-Quat are the two I have seen most press about.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: