Curious

Old 02-02-03, 10:39 AM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Curious

I have recently finished my basement. It involved essentially constructing 3 walls. After browsing these forums and having learned along the way I realize I did several things "wrong". I'd like to know the probable consequences of my "screwUps".

#1. I did not use pressure treated lumbar. My house is almost 50 years old and water has never been an issue - very dry basement. Prior to me finishing the basement there were other areas that were semifinished in the basement without pressure treated lumbar and they seemed to show no ill affects after many years.

#2. One of the walls I finished was an outside poured concrete wall. The wall was initially paneled over wood strips attached to the concrete wall. The paneling stopped above baseboard heating which runs along the floor of the wall & beyond to other areas. I did not build my new wall the "correct" way by moving the baseboard heating and framing in front of the concrete walls. The reason being is that to remove the baseboard heating which runs into other rooms would have been quite a task. What
I did instead was remove the paneling, re-enforce the wood backing (by a combination of drilling into concrete & anchoring with masonry screws, construction adhesive, and securing the wood to the open joists above). I then replaced the paneling (A friend who does construction recommended I do it & have it act like a vapor barrier) & sheetrocked over it. The sheetrock meets flush with the top of the baseboard. When all was done it came out great. My concern however after reading numerous forums is that I do not really have a proper vapor barrier. What ill-effects can I expect to occur having done things the "wrong" way?

Thanks

Old 02-02-03, 05:56 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Don't lose any sleep over it. If the walls rot in 30 or 40 years, you can rebuild it. But until then, I'd just forget it and promise to do better next time. A sharp home inspector may notice the problem when and if you sell, but you can deal with it if it happens.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: