Basement Insulation

Old 02-05-03, 02:21 PM
brucesmom
Visiting Guest
Basement Insulation

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help with a project. We are in the process of finishing our basement and are using 2 1/2 inch steel studs 16 inches on center during framing, placing them 1 inch out from the exterior concrete walls. What type of insulation do we use in our project? The only requirement we have (I believe) is to use a minumum of R11 per the building code. Do we use a vapor barrier or not? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-05-03, 05:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
brucesmom,

Since you are using steel studs, you may want to use a W/T bottom plate so that it's easy to attach wood base molding, if applicable.

Since you are using R-11 minimum, you could use R-13. I would recommend Friction Fit Unfaced batts. Apply a 6 mil vapor barrier over the insulation using duct tape to secure poly to studs or you may staple your poly to joists, then apply your drywall over this. No need to tape seams of poly as long as they overlap.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-13-03, 06:00 PM
brucesmom
Visiting Guest
Doug,

I just wanted to thank you for your advice. I called a local building material supply company and they sell the 16 inch wide insulation I'll need per your recommendation. Thanks again.

Brucesmom

Old 02-13-03, 06:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Brucesmom,

You're very welcome! Hope everything goes well for you.

Let us know how you're doing - take some pics if you can and post a link to them!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: