how to splice the base/top plate

Old 02-08-03, 03:49 PM
bonedoc
Visiting Guest
how to splice the base/top plate

heres my situtation. I am using treated 2x4 for the base plate of my stud walls, and i got them in 10 foot long segments. Two of my walls require longer top and bottom plates than that. I know ideally the whole thing is one piece, but what i want to know is what is the proper way of using two shorter pieces for one long wall. Where do the two ends butt up against one another? over a stud, or in a space? I had initially thought of splicing it b/t two studs so that i could lay down another piece of 2x4 14 1/2 inches long that fit right b/t the studs that i could use to nail into and connect the two plates. Note that all my walls are nonbearing. Thanks for the help, i am ready to get started but i cant until i figure this out!

Old 02-08-03, 04:56 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
With a non-bearing wall, it really doesn't make much difference. I like your idea of putting the butt joint between studs and using a 14.5" 2x4 to reinforce the joint.

Old 02-08-03, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I usually just run the butts together, and put a stud on the end of each, then nail the studs together. Just a thought. Good Luck

Old 02-10-03, 05:41 AM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
All of the above mentioned are good solutions, I builf alot of garages and I personally try to have the butt ends of the sill plates under a stud, inspectors in my area require the sill plate be anchored no less than 6" on each side of the butt joint. I've also seen other "mass-production" garage companies use the metal plates that are used in truss construction to tie the butt ends together with no 2x over the joint at all-it is then anchored on both peices into the brick/slab within 6" of the joint. Personally in your situation, I would just be sure that both ends on the treated bottom plate are anchored to the floor on both sides of the joint, then take your pick from the mentioned for connecting them, all will work. If it's for an exterior wall, there is not as much chance of the wall walking or bending at the joint as if it were an interior wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: