framing around a HVAC/DWV pipe

Old 02-09-03, 06:51 PM
bonedoc
Visiting Guest
framing around a HVAC/DWV pipe

I am framing in one of my basement rooms with wood 2x4's and about 12 feet down the the side of one of the walls (the room would be 18' straight down that side otherwise) there are some ducts/pipes that are running parallel to my wall (nonbearing) that are about 2 inches out from the concrete wall and hang down almost six inches. I have framed a wall that comes up the to floor joist just before the pipes (joists are perpendicular) and had planned to make a right turn and frame another full height wall about 18-24 inches and then keep going in the original direction like this
------------------------------------------------------------ <--concrete wall
______ Pipe-------->
xxxxxx|
xxxxxx|____________ <-stud wall

What i was wondering is can i just build the rest of that wall about 6 inches shorter so that it fits UNDER the pipes, eliminating that little jut out. If so, how would i attatch the top plate to the joists? I am attatching the bottom with construction adhesive and powder actuated fasteners place every other stud space (16 O.C.)
The ceiling will be a drop ceiling and if i went with the short wall model, the ceiling would just cover the top of the shorter part of the wall. Am I crazy???

Last edited by bonedoc; 02-09-03 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-09-03, 07:44 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't know about code, but think of two ideas.

Attach the top of the vertical studs or the top plate to short pieces of 2x4 attached to the wall behind.

Build down from the joists and run a piece of 2x4 from one to the other beneath the pipe and attach the wall. I assume from your description, that the drop ceiling would cover this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: