Basement Insulation & Steel Framing

Old 02-11-03, 06:30 PM
jusmaxxin
Visiting Guest
Question Basement Insulation & Steel Framing

I am getting ready to build out my basement and am stuck on one issue, the insulation. The insulation I see at Home Depot and Lowes comes in rolls 23" wide. On this board I saw that I am supposed to use 24" wide insulation with steel framing. Is that something you typically have to special order? My other question is how do I attach the insulation to the steel frame? I cant staple the insulation to the steel so do I screw it in?

Old 02-12-03, 01:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
jusmaxxin,

You can place wall studs, wood or steel 24" apart but there are advantages to having it at 16" O.C. This would be for more rigid surface for 1/2" drywall versus using 5/8". The other is hanging shelves, cabinets, etc.. It's easier to have a 16" spacing but you decide.

Batt-type insulation should be installed as follows:

Be sure to order full-width batts when installing insulation in steel studs. Batts for wood walls are typically 14 ½ or 22 ½ inches to allow for the space taken up by the stud. With steel framing the studs are hollow and require a full 16- or 24- inch batt, depending on the stud spacing. Depending on where you are, full width is readily available. Home Depot, Lowes sell steel studs and the insulation to accomodate your needs. If unable to get it there, check with your major lumber yard.

To install the batt insulation, simply tuck one side of the batt inside the open flange of the stud and press the other side into the wall cavity. Friction should hold the batts in place until the gypsumboard is installed (see Photo 17).

In some cases, duct tape can be used to hold the insulation in place until the gypsumboard is installed.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-17-03, 02:41 PM
jpbaker10
Visiting Guest
jusmaxxin,
I used the steel studs as well and put them 16"OC. I used a spray adhesive (elmers) that i picked up at Home depot and it worked quite well in holding the paper flaps to the stud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: