Insulating Precast walls

Old 02-21-03, 11:33 AM
wkosciel
Visiting Guest
Question Insulating Precast walls

I have been the lucky person (I think) to have a precast cellar. According to the person who sold this wall to me I should use R13 (6" X 23") paper backed placed on after a plastic vapor barrier. Well I am not good at following instructions because I didn't leave a 2" space between the cement wall that is shapped like a 2X4 studded wall. Now I have water on the back of the batts. I am in the process of losening one edge to allow them to dry. I am wondering if I shoulden't put the vapor barrier on the warm side or put plastic on both sides. I am using plaster board screws to hold the mess to the tin/foam edges. The precast wall has a metal with foam in the back where a 2X4 edge would normally be. Pictures would show it better.

Old 02-21-03, 05:29 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the paper backed insulation has a vapor barrier, then the combination of it and the plastic vapor barrier may have trapped moisture in the space between them causing the condensation you see.

Check the insulation to see if it has a vapor barrier in the paper backing. If so you need to eliminate one of them or the other. Post back with what you find.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: