Framing around breaker box

Old 02-24-03, 06:37 AM
talon2112
Visiting Guest
Framing around breaker box

My main circuit breaker is hung on a peice of plywood that is in turn nailed to my poured walls via masonry nails. The location is in the corner of what will be my main entertainment room.

I already have a couple of ideas on how to handle this. I can frame around the box. Since I'm starting the walls out an inch already, the plywood won't interfere at all. Then I can build a cabinet door into the wall for access. My main concern with this option is the loss of insulation in that area. Probably not a big concern, since it'll be a pretty small gap in the insulation.

Another option is to build a very small closet around it and then insulate the walls of that closet. Not sure I like this, because it's kind of intrusive and requires a larger door.

Any other ideas or thoughts on this?

Old 02-24-03, 07:07 AM
dantis
Visiting Guest
talon,

I have the same situation, and opted for the closet..although my water main and sump pump are in the same corner, so the closet will house it all. I am looking fo insulation options as well Good luck

Old 02-24-03, 08:57 AM
Griffin
Visiting Guest
I have the same situation. I have a sump pump, electrical panal and a mitigation pipe along one wall. I was thinking of doing a 8 foot closet with folding doors. I thought I read some where that you needed at least 36'' clearence in front of the electrical panal. I to will need some insulation ideas.Griff

Old 02-24-03, 06:39 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There are a lot of clearance requirements for a panel. The main ones are 36" in front, 30" side to side, and 6'6" of headroom. The space within these dimensions must be completely clear of everything. The panel must also be readily accessible, and not be in a clothes closet, bathroom, or in the vicinity of easily ignitable material.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: