Taping angles > 90 degrees

Old 02-25-03, 03:33 AM
tmarcoux
Visiting Guest
Taping angles > 90 degrees

In order to conserve space around my furnance and hot water heater, I chose to build my walls with a tapered angle (versus a rectangle). It saved a considerable amount of space and opened up the room. However, I have a question regarding the final taping.

Normally, on a 90 degree angled outside corner, I would install cornerbead. Do I use the same cornerbead for angles greater than 90 degrees and just "open" it to shape? Or is there special bead that is a bit more flexible that will easily conform to the custom angle?

Old 02-25-03, 04:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tmarcoux,

Take a look at the link below, there are various bead and trim accessories available at Home Depot, Lowes that will help in what you are doing.

http://www.usg.com/Expert_Advice/pdf/Chapter_01.pdf

Hope this helps!

Old 02-25-03, 04:48 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can just use your regular tape and bend it around the corner if you like. It works just fine.

Old 02-25-03, 06:42 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
My two cents.

When doing 135 degree outside corners, I just take regular corner bead and spread it out. Put the corner bead on the floor and push down on it with a fat piece of PVC pipe. Depending on how you framed the wall, you may want to use the tape-on corner bead rather than the nail-on because there may not be great places to nail. You can do this with either the regular or bullnose corner bead.

I noticed in the PDF file that Doug supplied, USG does sell a 135 degree corner bead (see page 22 of the PDF file).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: