Drywall ceiling access panels

Old 04-02-03, 04:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Drywall ceiling access panels

What's a good way to make access panels in a drywall ceiling? I was considering using window casing and just letting the drywall rest on the frame made from the casing. Any other method that would be better?
Old 04-02-03, 06:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
There are quote a few access panels designed exactly for this purpose. Search the forum for access panels and you'll find quote a few links to the companies that make them.

Depending on the size of the access you need, another very good option is to put in a 3-gang drywall ring in the drywall. Then use a blank electrical switchp plate to cover it. The 3-gang drywall rings should be available at most home centers. If not, you can find them at electrical supply stores.
Old 04-02-03, 06:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
that's a good one!

I'm going to use that 3-gang drywall ring approach on the smaller access areas - Thanks for the suggestion
Old 04-02-03, 11:28 AM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
For larger areas, you can buy plastic access panels at home improvement centers. You just cut the appropriate size hole in the drywall and clip the panel in. These come in 8"x8" and larger sizes.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: