Insulation and Mold

Old 04-29-03, 08:05 PM
quirt904
Visiting Guest
Insulation and Mold

Posted elsewhere, but apprropriate here as well:

Complicated. Our single family cluster house was built in '97 in New England. We have a poured concrete foundation-deep walk out basement (unheated) that we never intended to finish. It is all well above grade. The developer insulated the exterior walls with unfaced batts of fiberglass. That's it.

A year or so ago I noticed what I later learned to be mold growth on the inside surface of the plywood sheathing of the exterior walls. Town Building inspectors and a mold remediation pro confirmed my suspicion: the developer's use of unfaced fiberglass in the bays permitted moisture migration and promoted mold, despite dehumidifier use. Interestingly, a couple of bays in one corner were insulated with faced batts folded over one another, so that corner looked like the rest of the basement. But there is no mold in these bays.

I am about to try to get the developer to correct the problem, which may cost $5000 or more. But the house was built almost six years ago, and people tell me, you're out of luck, bub. it's too late. He'll just laugh at you. I wonder, though. If I can prove that the insulation job violated common practices at the time it was done, I might have a shot in Small Claims Court. Anyone have any relevant thoughts?

Old 04-29-03, 09:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would talk to a real estate attorney. Might cost a few buks for a visit, but worth it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: