basement finishing

Old 05-24-03, 05:18 AM
chantallouise
Visiting Guest
Question basement finishing

Hello all,
I am new to this so I apologize ahead of time if I am reasking an already answered question. I was just reading about basement walls and plan to use the two by four wall 16" oc 1" away from the wall with a barrier strip on both sides, and the fiberglass insulation (did I get that right??) However there is a portion of my beasement that has already been "done" and I don't want to undo,redo if it is not necessary. I tore down all the wood paneling in the "finished" room, and noticed some rot at the base of the existing 2X4s. I am also not sure that the wall was built 1" off the CMU blocks, or that a barrier strip was used there. I'd like to salvage what I can. should I take down the stil in good shape insulation, and just replace the rotted 2X4's, add a barrier strip on the back side and then re-use the insulation?

Also on a totally different track there is a 7.5' X 6' sand box in my basement floor while the rest is poured concrete....is the best? cheapest? only? way to fill that with quick-crete?.....are there any other suggestions....or any reasons why the sand box should stay?

Thanks for the help...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-03, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re do

Dont know where you are but all codes I know of say you have to use green wood. if it touches the concrete.If it is not replace the whole plate there
I would put a 2 or 6 mil poly on the wall first and still the 1" out.

If the old insulation is dry yes I would use it.

Sand pit????? If you dont need it yes fill it in. cost to much for a truck load and you only need a little over a 1/2 yard. So fill it in with the quick-crete

ED

Old 05-28-03, 08:35 AM
chantallouise
Visiting Guest
thanks.....but

Thank you for the reply but I still have a question.

Is there a less expensive alternative to filling the whole area (roughly 45sf) with quickcrete. the surrounding slab is about 3.5 " thick. I plan to use the area as part of the floor in the room I am putting in, but it seems like an awful lot of quick-crete! can I put in something to reduce the volume needed? or are there some pre-cast, tile like things that can be quick creted together to form the floor for a lesser amount of $$, time and effort?

Old 05-28-03, 10:08 AM
floor

Its like what you want. If there is no load on the floor lets say fill it in somewith sand and tamp it real good put a wire mesh in it and cut the concrete down to just 2" I think this would cost less than buying pre cast ED

Old 05-29-03, 04:56 PM
If you fill it with premixed concrete, it's only 22 bags. Not so bad.