attic fan/thermostat

Old 05-26-03, 12:54 PM
auav8r
Visiting Guest
attic fan/thermostat

I just bought and moved into a home. I found that there is an attic fan, but I'm not sure how to make the thremostat work properly. There is a dial near the fan itself and another one about 10 ft away. When I adjust these, I can make the fan come on or off, but it either stays running or stays of. It doesn't cut on and off as I believe it should. Any suggestions? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-03, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You probably have it set up with a double switch. since you were not the one that installed it you will probably have a hard time figuring it out. I would just buy a new one ,very cheap, and just cut out the other two. You will probably not even invest $20 to set it up and then you will now how it runs. Usually keep it set about 95 degrees. Good Luck

Old 05-27-03, 02:44 AM
Lightbulb Good idea

Either that or ditch the attic fan entirely in favor of passive system.

Old 06-03-03, 09:18 PM
bryan77
Visiting Guest
Ok ya got me what is a passive system?

Old 06-06-03, 11:50 AM
fan

Work on that fan and get it going its worth it ED

Old 06-12-03, 05:20 PM
I just priced a attic fan thermostat at Menards today. $12.95. It takes about 5 minutes and a screw driver to install. Good Luck

Old 04-23-05, 07:53 AM
bmcfarlin
Visiting Guest
Attic Fan Thermostat

I recently replaced an attic fan and the new one came with a Masterflow adjustable thermostat, however the fan continually runs regardless of the setting on the thermostat. I believe it's wired properly (power white to fan white to black on thermostat, then power black to fan black to the 2nd black on the thermostat), if not can someone advise. Thank You.

Old 04-23-05, 08:04 AM
Wink

bmcfarlin

. I believe it's wired properly (power white to fan white to black on thermostat, then power black to fan black to the 2nd black on the thermostat), if not can someone advise. Thank You.
White to the fan black power to the tstat then tstat to the fan. check out the tstat. see if it will turn off if you run it up and down?

ED

Old 04-23-05, 08:27 AM
bmcfarlin
Visiting Guest
attic Fan Thermostat

bmcfarlin
. I believe it's wired properly (power white to fan white to black on thermostat, then power black to fan black to the 2nd black on the thermostat), if not can someone advise. Thank You.
White to the fan black power to the tstat then tstat to the fan. check out the tstat. see if it will turn off if you run it up and down?

Ed, I'm a little confused here, does the white from the house go to the white on the fan, then black from the house go to the tstat, and then tsat to the fan black? So the 2 black wires on the tstat would be inbetween the house and the fan?

Old 04-23-05, 08:44 AM
Wink

So the 2 black wires on the tstat would be inbetween the house and the fan?
You got it . Then the tstat can turn it on or off.

ED

Old 04-23-05, 09:13 AM
bmcfarlin
Visiting Guest
Thank You

Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
You got it . Then the tstat can turn it on or off.

ED
Ed, Thank You, it works better your way. I set the tstat for about 90 and then up/down from there and it turned on/off as it should. Then I left it at 90.

Old 07-19-07, 04:43 PM
B
Just bought a gable mounted attic fan, the instructions say to locate the thermostat near the fan. But I'd rather locate the thermostat near the attic opening, so I don't have to crawl to the other side of the attic to change the setting. Would I need to set the thermostat at a higher setting to compensate for this?

Also, which way does a gable mounted attic fan spin (in relation to the vent it's attached to) - to suck air into or to blow it out of the attic?