Suspended Ceiling

Old 06-01-03, 08:11 PM
Ireallyneedhelp
Visiting Guest
Question Suspended Ceiling

I am wondering if someone out there has a suggestion. We live in an older modular home with a basement. The stairs go down to the basement to the third step from the bottom where there is a landing then they turn 90 degrees and continue another two steps down to the floor. We have been planning to put a suspended ceiling in the basement (the basement has never been finished and is just bare floor joists). The problem is that if we go with the suspended ceiling right by the stairs then there will not be enough clearance for head room. This will probably also be a problem on the other end of the basement where the outside door also is. Do you suggest blocking an area around from the landing and around the door as we would around the windows, or would you go with flush clip mount ceiling tiles instead of suspended ceiling? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-03, 06:36 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
where we needed headroom at our stairs i just boxed around as you stated. the vertical tiles for this part will be the first ones in, and they will give a nice finished look. IMO a drop ceiling is far superior bc you can run elect in the room easier and access it easier with the tiles!

Old 06-02-03, 07:50 AM
Ireallyneedhelp
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your answer. So you are saying that you put vertical tiles to box in with -- I think that we were planning on using gyp rock. But your idea sounds better.

Do you know where info can be found on doing it that way?

Old 06-02-03, 11:38 AM
you could probably find info either at HD or online. i kinda fooled around and figgered it out myself.

Old 06-02-03, 12:16 PM
Ireallyneedhelp
Visiting Guest
Okay -- thank you so much

Old 06-02-03, 03:36 PM
check this out for some basics:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_walls_ot...378459,00.html

my wife and i did our 16 x 20 basement ourselves in a day.when you get to the vertical part instead of cutting the "L" channel on the bottom and bending it around the inside corner, cut the top part and bend the "L" up. does that make sense?? if not i maybe can find some pics for you to look at. Good Luck.

Old 06-02-03, 06:56 PM
CrackedDrumHead
Visiting Guest
I constructed a 4" valance made of poplar wood around the opening in the suspended ceiling.

You can see it here:
http://home.insight.rr.com/basementremodel

Old 06-03-03, 05:35 AM
wow, thats nice. i might actually redo mine!!!

Old 06-03-03, 05:43 PM
Ireallyneedhelp
Visiting Guest
That looks really great -- so if your stairs had a wall on one side and were open to the basement on the other (with spindles) and made a 90 at the bottom to the room in the basement. -- Would you make the boxed in thing just as wide as the landing -- or would you box the entire length of the stairs and start the suspended ceiling a few feet into the basement. Our problem is that we just can not figure out what we should do here without actually being able to see it.

I really appreciate your responses.

Old 06-05-03, 08:09 AM
CrackedDrumHead
Visiting Guest
"Would you make the boxed in thing just as wide as the landing -- or would you box the entire length of the stairs and start the suspended ceiling a few feet into the basement?"

Personally, I would the "box" or valance as wide as the landing - to me, it would look more appealing (however, maybe not so much to someone else).

"Our problem is that we just can not figure out what we should do here without actually being able to see it."

What I like to do is take a digital picture of the work site and bring it into a paintbrush or photo editor application on my computer, and sketch or paint different configurations and ideas. To me a picture is worth a million words.

You could even email a picture to me and I could give you a few more concrete ideas.

Jim

Old 06-05-03, 07:32 PM
Ireallyneedhelp
Visiting Guest
Okay -- thank you so much. I will try it on my computer and see what happens. I really appreciate your input!!