Attic with no access

Old 06-15-03, 10:25 PM
Neil
Visiting Guest
Attic with no access

Hi!

I am have made an offer to purchase a 40 year old home. During the inspection, we discovered that there is no access to the attic. The original access has been sealed. We have no idea of the condition of the insulation or ventilation up there. The sellers have put in a new roof in 1999 but they profess to have no information or knowledge about the condition of the attic.

Are the sellers required to provide a access to the attic for inspection? Is it a big risk to purchase this house without checking out the attic. Our home inspector seems to think that it will not be an issue but we are quite concerned about future liabilities.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Nei

Old 06-16-03, 04:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Personal opinion? I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole until they opened up the attic for a look-see. You might even check if that is a code violation.

Is the home inspector willing to sign off that HE is responsible if there is a problem in the uninspected attic area later? I've got $10 that says he backs off on his opinion REAL fast when you ask him THAT.

My $.02 worth.

Old 06-17-03, 08:06 AM
KC~76
Visiting Guest
How long have the sellers lived there, and they've never once been in the attic? It sounds a little bizarre. They hiding a body up there?

Old 06-18-03, 04:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Their last name wouldn't be Bates, I suppose.......

Old 06-29-03, 06:59 PM
Neil
Visiting Guest
Attic

Thanks, folks,

I did push for attic access. The sellers managed to break open the sealed door. The inspection was fine. No moisture, no wood damage, the insulation is fine and the venting is good.

Thanks for the advice.

-Neil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: