Old 08-18-03, 03:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question roughcasting

Has anyone heard of roughcasting a as a method of waterproofing basement walls? It apparently involves the application of cement over wire mesh over visqueen.

A contractor has proposed installing an interior (french) drain system and roughcasting the walls to waterproof my basement. He said that there is no other way to effectively prevent leakage through the walls (other than excavating and coating the foundation walls from the outside), and that without the roughcasting he would not be able to warranty the walls.

Is roughcasting, in conjunction with an interior drainage system, an effective method of preventing leakage through the walls? And what is visqueen?

Also, does anyone know anything about Radonseal and its effectiveness as a basement waterproofing compound?
Old 08-19-03, 05:49 PM
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,999
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What your contractor is talking about is gunite. It is concrete shot or sprayed over a wire mesh. It is usually used in tunnels, but is very effective for basements and swimming pools. Visquene
is black plastic. Comes in rolls and folds out into a large sheet. It comes in various thicknesses. It is used alot in home and basement construction. Good stuff. I personally would forget about the radonseal. But that is just my opinion of it. Good Luck

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: