Best brand of attic stairs?

Old 09-26-03, 06:37 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best brand of attic stairs?

Just installed a Louisville brand folding attic ladder and wasn't favorably impressed with it's fit and finish. It was out of square when just removed from the box, the corners weren't tight, and the frame was warped.

Can anyone speak from experience with the major (Louisville, Werner, etc) brands?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-03, 06:45 AM
C
I installed from scratch a Werner A2510 a couple of years ago and was satisfied with the product, its fit and finish. The instruction labels on the frame could have been a bit more specific, but I have installed attic stairways before.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-18-06, 05:45 PM
L
Thumbs down Watch Amount of Pull Required

I got a set of Werner steel stairs to replace old wooden stairs. All the advertising said they were "easy to open". After installation it was just about impossible to open them. It was for a woman who weighed only 110 pounds - who could eeasily open her old wooden stairs. But in this case it took a strong 200 pound man to open them. I called Werner and was told by the rep that even though they advertised them as being "easy to open" they required 130 pounds of force to open them. 130 Pounds of force is NOT easy to open ! ! ! ! Apparently there had been other complaints because the rep immediately offered to send me at NO COST FOR THE LADDER OR SHIPPING any other Werner stairs I wanted. So I picked the 25" wide aluminum set. They too are very hard to open, although not as hard as the steel ones. Somewhere there ought to be a standard means of measuring the pull strength to open the stairs for all manufacturers to follow and advertise. My next step is to get a set of fish scales to see just what pull is actually required. The old wooden stairs were very easy to open - but if you look at the new ones on the market today you will see that the linkages are all different and the springs are very high tension styles.

Does anyone know of truly opening attic stairs that they would install for their 110 pound 60 year old grandmother ? ? ? ?

Old 12-21-06, 06:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Talking

I would like to know as well. My attic stairs are behind held up and down by some rope.

Old 12-31-06, 07:11 AM
J
I haven't ordered from them, but these stairs are fully automatic and may help.

http://www.stira.us/automatic.htm

Old 01-22-07, 05:50 PM
S
Smile Attic ladder

The attic ladder I installed was the Werner S2200 Series Steel ladder.
http://www.wernerladder.com/newprods/s2200.php
It folds up up just like the wood or aluminum ladders. The features that sold me on this ladder are:

1. The rough opening width is only 22 1/2" yet has a ladder width of 17 7/8". You would need to buy a wood/aluminum ladder with a rough opening of 25" in order to get the same ladder width and with most ladders, even the 25" rough opening doesn't provide as wide a stair opening. I think this is caused by the bulky springs and supports on the typical attic stair.

2. The use of gas struts not only allows for a wider clearance, it also provides for a slam-free closing. You do not have to hold the door by a rope/ pole in order close it without slamming. You just close up the steps and get the door going closed with a push and it closes the rest of the way without a slam.

3. Adjustable feet. I always feared trying to cut a wood or aluminum ladder to length. If you screw up, you are done for. Right now I have carpet in the hallway the ladder is installed above and the feet are adjusted to it. If I decide to rip up the carpet and use the hardwood floors below, I can easily readjust the feet to the new height. I don't know what I would do with a wood ladder.

4. Installation - instead of having to install temporary supports to hold up the ladder and it's frame (which is one unit on other ladders), this ladder is seperate from the frame so you can install the lighter frame first without the extra bulk and then the stairs attach to the frame. And the kit comes with metal temporary supports which hang off of the ceiling joists (rather than nailing boards from below) and adjusts the height of the frame for a perfect installation.

I have always said I would never buy a wood attic ladder because I have seen many an old wood attic ladder that was so rickety that I was afraid to use it. I was going to buy an aluminum ladder until I came across this one. At first the way the ladder was built (rather thin looking metal supports compared to the wood/aluminum ladders, just a flimsy looking ladder) had me thinking twice as to whether it could support a persons weight carrying a box. But then I realized that if it is rated for 300 pounds, it has to meet this standard regardless of whether it is built with 2 x 4 wood legs or 1 X 2 steel legs. I am glad I went with this ladder.

Old 10-28-09, 11:31 AM
B
Beware of the Werne steel stairs

I was in the process of buying an attic ladder and found a lot of scary reviews on the S2210 model that you bought (think it could also be a problem for the S2208). There were numerous reported incidences of the hinges on this model breaking, with little use, resulting in serious injury to the user. Just do a google search with the search words: Werner s2210 broke.

Anyway, just thought that you should know. Not sure if the problem was ever resolved and that product is now discontinued. If you've had problems with this model, please call the consumer protection hot line at 1-800-638-2772 and report these problems so there may be a recall.

Good luck.

Old 10-28-09, 11:35 AM
B
I was in the process of buying an attic ladder and found a lot of scary reviews on the S2200 models that you bought. There were numerous reported incidences of the hinges on this model breaking, with little use, resulting in serious injury to the user. Just do a google search with the search words: Werner s2210 broke.

Anyway, just thought that you should know. Not sure if the problem was ever resolved and that product is now discontinued. If you've had problems with this model, please call the consumer protection hot line at 1-800-638-2772 and report these problems so there may be a recall.

Good luck.