need slab foundation info

Old 10-12-03, 09:08 AM
ktm250racer
Visiting Guest
need slab foundation info

We are looking at a building lot that currently has a 60x100 frost wall foundation in place. THe lot also has the septic complete and underground utilities and a dug well. The inside of the foundation walls is filled with sand about 12 inches below the top of the cement. Would footings and a slab be poured to complete this? In NH, I have not seen many houses built on this type of foundation. Could there be any other reason other than a high water table that would prevent a full basement? We are considering buying the lot, but have not talked to the realtor to see why the current owners decided to build the way it is. Would like to get any info as a background. The lot is sandy with a stream one border and the house they were planing on building was a solar home. Not sure if this type of house is built on a slab for thermal mass properties.

Old 10-12-03, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
From what you have said, it sounds as if they were planning on a slab foundation with hot water heat under the floor. This is becoming somewhat popular in many parts of the country. since your looking at it, you might as well ask the Realtor to find out for you. Mine is an educated guess from what you have told me. The Realtor would know for sure. Good Luck

Old 10-12-03, 06:16 PM
ktm250racer
Visiting Guest
would it be possible to dig out the fill down to the footings and pour a slab, then build the top up (either framing or blocks) to create a full basement?

I will be talking to the realtor tomorrow, I just like to have as much info as possible, thanks.

Old 10-13-03, 06:02 PM
Yes, that would be possible. But look at this in a different light. Instead of looking at as what you want to do, look at it from the stand point of why was it done this way? This may answer alot of questions. Good Luck

Old 10-14-03, 11:45 AM
Lightbulb Just for kicks

With Jack here. Ask about it? You said solar home ,that sand could be to try and hold heat in whats called the thermal mass.Thats like had one guy try what they called hot rocks to try and hold the heat of the day through the night. Had to take them out didnt work . ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: