Continuous ridge vent in winter

Old 10-13-03, 01:54 AM
robson3324
Visiting Guest
Continuous ridge vent in winter

My home has a continuous ridge vent which I am told is very effective during hot weather.

It seems as though it would be equally UNeffective during cold weather.

Is there an easy way to 'close' this continuous ridge vent during cold weather? Is there any negative effect of closing off this vent?

I live in Louisiana - there is no snow or icicle problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Marc

Old 10-13-03, 04:47 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Quite frankly, the purpose of attic venting is to ventilate the attic. The purpose of insulation is to contain the conditioned area's temperature. Attic vents are not to be closed in winter, because that can trap moisture. Trapped moisture can create the right environment for damaging mildew and mold to form. Moisture can also make your insulation damp and less effective. The roof is not insulated, so any insulating effect of closing the attic ventilation would be minimal at best.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-13-03, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
vents

Just think as the roof is up there to keep the rain and snow if any, off the insulation in the home . So let all the air in and more so in the winter. ED

Old 10-21-03, 09:59 AM
Mac Attack
Visiting Guest
continuing thought

I have whirly bird vents on my roof. I see alot of people cover those up in the winter. Should i leave those alone?

Old 10-21-03, 10:35 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
vents

Dont like the whirly birds at all , but if thats what you have dont cover them let them open. I think chfite and I are saying the same thing here.Like I said before the roof is there just to keep the snow and rain off the insulation. if you close it up in the winter time your in for a lot of trouble. ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: