Old 11-06-03, 06:03 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 52
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Radon

A neighbor had their home tested and the level was a 10!!! I assume I will be around the same. What is an economical way(s) to bring the levels down? Wall sealer? also the tester recommended a Radon medigator? The house is 2 yrs old, basement is unfinished concrete walls and floor.

Old 11-06-03, 09:12 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Although the EPA says any reading over 4 is of concern, I don't think I'd be alarmed with a reading less than 50. I'm not sure I'd worry about mitigation until I planned to finish the basement, and even then only if I planned a bedroom down there. By the way, your reading could easily be quite different than your neighbors.
Old 11-06-03, 11:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 1,820
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

You can download this or print it out if you like. I happen to know some of the people who wrote this for the EPA and we discussed it. The DEP guidelines for mitigation are readings at 4 and above, mitigate. For readings below 4, consider mitigation.

I have been in homes where a house had a reading of 50 and next door had a reading of 2. Some of the brightest minds in this field are hard pressed to explain the reason why. There are a lot of variables to consider and it is for this reason the DEP recommends testing all homes.

Now you can have a licensed professional do the testing for you, however, the DEP recommends the homeowner do it themselves. Unlike the protocol for professionals, the guidelines for consumers are as follows;

Install the testing device on the lowest livable level of the home and follow the instructions, especially closed house requirements.

If the reading is at 4 or above a second test is recommended. This reading of the second test is added to the first test reading and then divided by two. If this result is 4 or above, mitigation is recommended and if it is below 4, consider mitigation.

This is what the DEP recommends and I strongly support consumer testing prior to mitigation or contacting a professional. You can usually purchase these test canisters at your local home improvement store or buy them on-line, there are several laboratories that do it. You can also contact your State's DEP for a lists of laboratories, licensed technicians/mitigators and companies.

The Activated Charcoal Devices are very simple to use. The laboratory calculates the radon concentration after measuring the gamma activity from Lead 214 and Bismuth 214. Since these are radon decay products, mailing the canister to the laboratory should not have any effect.
Old 11-07-03, 08:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Radon is very dangerous. If you want to eliminate the radon in your home, check out Permaflex. It has been shown to eliminate levels of over 150pCi down to .2. Don't assume that your level is similar to your neighbors level. And one more thing, winter is coming and your level will be higher, because of the fact that your home will be closed up. Check into it.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: