2 X 4 Stud Wall over Concrete Form Wall


Old 12-14-03, 08:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question 2 X 4 Stud Wall over Concrete Form Wall

My Basement Concrete Form wall already has insulation of approx. 3 1/3 inches over the concrete form walls. This insulation has a white vapor barrier. I want to put in a 2 X 4 Stud wall and insulate with rolled R-21. Should I remove the insulation on the Concrete form wall and then build the stud wall or just leave the current insulation and build the wall and insulate it also?

I live in Colorado Springs, Basement is heated, very low humidity, basement is dry, no unusual problems, just basement is cold in the winter.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-03, 09:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I am no expert, but from what I have read, just leave the insulation in place on the concrete wall and build the framed wall next to it. Just do not build the new wall too close--there needs to be room for the insulation to be fitted nice and loose.

As for insulating the new wall that would be overkill.

Good luck. There has also been some discussion that the vapor barrier on the original insulation would be better off if it was sliced to allow for moisture escape. But that would be a lot of work. Just do a search on this forum and you will find out more information.
Old 12-14-03, 09:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
As for the cut in the origional vapor barrier, My kids have taken care of that by slitting it in various places. I have used insulation tape to cover these areas with 6 mil Poly. We are taking big slits, the kids seem to like how easy it slices.
Old 12-14-03, 12:20 PM
awesomedell's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 2,425
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Used to live in the Springs myself, bout 20 yrs ago, definitely not a humid place and being from the midwest, I thought it to be a very tolerable climate.

I'd leave what insulation you've got on the concrete walls and frame the new walls up in enough to allow room for the batted insulation to sit in the stud cavities. Awound here I use R-19, they might call for a bit more in your region of the country. You can look up DOE recommendations for your area on their website. Here's a link,
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: