Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Carpet Tiles. do you have these in your basement?

Old 12-19-03, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

http://www.legatocarpet.com/Legato/L...e?OpenDocument

I was thinking of using the above in my basement. I contacted the company and they say their fine for basement conditions. Have anyone used this product? How does it look? Do you ave any pictures? Would you recommend installing plastic sheeting under this?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-03, 07:52 PM
caster,

I have not seen this but question the method and use within a basement. I could not find anything out on that application. The other issue is cost, this doesn't seem inexpensive. The idea of replacing a piece if it gets ruined is almost like preparing to see a checkerboard after a few get replaced, new next to old. Then it will be an issue of matching color runs unless you by extra and then at that point, I think it will be expensive.

When it comes to basements, the carpeting can be glued or laid as that of the main floor via use of tack strips. Easy to replace and maintain.

As long as you have a dry basement, no sealing is necessary and in some cases is not recommended if a glued application is considered.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-19-03, 08:02 PM
Home Depot has this for $69 per 35.something sq ft

Old 12-19-03, 08:10 PM
Caster,

Basically not cheap at all! If I were to get traditional carpet it is could run from $10 to $15 per yard installed. As I mentioned you would have to buy more to replace bad ones then the cost goes up even more.

The product you suggest is more expensive and I see no major advantage to getting it.

What is prompting your interest in this product?

Old 12-19-03, 08:18 PM
i thought I can save dough by installing it myself. Im going to price carpet installed and see how it compares. this stuff would cost me 1380 installed

Old 12-19-03, 08:23 PM
caster,

I agree, get some prices and compare cost. Installing these yourself seems to be easy but overall performance and cost may not be the answer. $1380 seems high but not knowing what you total area is another issue.

The other issue is what I mentioned before, no info on application over concrete floor and even if this is a wise choice for this location, regarding individual pcs.

I'll copy this posting over to floorings and maybe they can assist with more info.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Old 12-19-03, 08:25 PM
thanks. my total rough sq ft is 576

Old 12-20-03, 10:06 AM
The Army uses them

I'm not sure if they're the same brand, but the army uses this system pretty extensively. They distribute them at the DIY centers on post for use in facilities. We used them in a number of chapel basements with pretty heavy (read that commercial type) use. They were very durable and yes, easy to install. Didn't seem to turn up at the edges either.

As to cost, I think the Army stocked them because it was cheaper than having to get a government contract because the buildings' users installed them themselves.

Old 12-22-03, 04:53 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
As I said in the other forum, the guvmt is eating this stuff for breakfast.
good stuff.

Old 12-24-03, 08:32 PM
demoman
Visiting Guest
Did my kids playroom with a similiar product. I pulled the tiles out of local theater I was clearing out (free). Didn't use any new adhesive, just stuck them back down to my basement floor. Even did a wainscot with them to protect the drywall from the flying toys (2 boys) After 4 years not only are they not curled up, they don't even look like tiles. Compare prices though, I like my carpet in the entertainment center much better.

Old 02-21-08, 08:44 PM
I used FLOR tiles in my basement. Pricier than regular carpet - but came in monsterously handy when the basement partially flooded. I was able to pull up the tiles, hang them up to dry in the basement for a few days, then put them back down - good as new. They come w/ little stickers that hold the corners together - but once everything is in place, you don't need them.