Ceiling vent leaking in bathroom

Old 12-28-03, 10:53 AM
pdnovak
Visiting Guest
Ceiling vent leaking in bathroom

I have a ceiling vent in my master bath which is dripping water. I've looked up in the attic and there is no leaking or water damage. This just started occurring when winter came so I believe it is happening from condensation in the vent shaft.

This has not happened in the past 4 years of living here. There is no insulation on the vent shaft either. I'm not sure how this could be happening because nothing looks broken.

How is condensation usually handled in this situation? Any ideas on what might have broken?

Thanks,

Paul

Old 12-28-03, 11:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Condensation can only occur two ways. Do you have ice or snow that got down your vent and is now melting as your warm air rises ? or as the warm air rises out your vent pipe, and top of your pip is cold thus causing condensation and it is running down.
Your problem is on top of your roof I believe. Take a look. Good Luck

Old 12-28-03, 11:08 AM
pdnovak
Visiting Guest
What should the top of the vent look like?

I've looked in the attic and see no damage so it must be at the top.

I'd like to get an idea of what its supposed to look like before I go up there.

Also, if the attic is cold, I though condensation could occur along the entire length of the shaft, but I could be wrong.

Old 12-28-03, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb Paul

First look and see if the unit has a flapper damper in it and it is not closeing. Also you could try and wrap the vent pipe in some insulation up there in the attic. I dont think its on the roof. Its like Jack said the warm air goes up in the pipe and it being cold the condensation forms and just runs back out. ED

Old 12-28-03, 12:20 PM
pdnovak
Visiting Guest
What is a "flapper damper"? The unit looks pretty cheap. I've pulled the case off to look and didn't see anything that looked damaged but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Something has broken either with the vent or the shaft/roof because it only started happening this winter.

Old 12-28-03, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb vents

Ok flapper on most vent fans there is like a little door that blowes open when the fan is on. This should close as soon as the fan is off. This will stop the warm air from just going up in the cold pipe.
ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: