Floor joists

Old 01-12-04, 05:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Actually, crawlspace...

This is the closest forum I could find for this question. Please let me know if there's a better place to look. My home is built on a crawlspace, which is poorly ventilated at one end. When we bought the home, my home inspector told me that the living room/dining room is over the poorly ventilated end of the crawlspace, and as such, some of my floor joists are sagging a bit due to moisture. This is evidenced by a couple of small cracks in the drywall at the upper corners of a couple of door frames. The cracks have not grown in the 9 months we've lived there.

The question is this. The home inspector said that it's a fairly simple process to stabilize things. He said I should just get a long 4x4 plank, three jacks and three concrete blocks. I should set the jacks on the concrete blocks in the crawlspace, with the 4x4 running perpindicular to the floor joists. He didn't suggest trying to jack the floor up, but simply stabilizing the floor.

My question - is it really this simple - is this really something I could do myself reasonably?
Old 01-12-04, 06:53 AM
awesomedell's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 2,351
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'd say he gave you pretty good advice. Only thing I'd add is that you can jack the joists up to relevel the floor while you're there. If it's saggin alot, it will have to be raised a little at a time, which will require crawling under the house a couple-three times.
Old 01-12-04, 07:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I've not been under that part of the house to check it out to any real extent. my impression from what the inspector told me, and my own observation inside the room, is that i'm not even really looking at leveling it back out, but just keeping it where it is. Are these jacks the type thing you can get at Home Depot/Lowes type places?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: