Transporting drywall down the basement stairs

Old 02-22-04, 08:58 PM
Littleone
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Transporting drywall down the basement stairs

Help! I have hired a contractor to finish the basement. Problem is.... getting the sheets of drywall down there. The bottom of the basement stairs essentially meets a wall and there's a fairly sharp turn to get to the remainder of the area. The contractor wants to cut a hole, or a slit, if you will, in the foundation, just above the concrete to slide the sheets of drywall in. This makes me incredibly nervous! He says it's done all the time. All I see is a host of future problems in terms of water/moisture. Has anyone heard of this method or do you have other suggestions. Thanks so much!

Old 02-23-04, 03:51 AM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
No this is not a normal procedure. Tell him to find another alternative or find another G.C. Maybe you can try talking the handrail off the steps.

Old 02-23-04, 06:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, your GC is full of beans. Don't cut a hole in your house. I have to be honest with you, in all my years, I never even thought about that solution. You did not tell us how long the sheet rock sheets were. 8', 10', 12' ? It may be that if the sheets are long, that they may have to be shortened. I bet there is a way to get them in there. But, don't cut a hole in your house. Good Luck

Old 02-23-04, 06:38 AM
I just did a basement exactly like this. I had to use 8' sheets only. I took off the railing and they bent enough to make the turn. It sucked but I did it. If that doesn't give you enough room you may have to take the casing off the doorway if there is any. I would never cut into siding of a house.

Old 02-23-04, 07:06 PM
S
Before I would consider (actually I would NEVER consider) cutting an exterior wall I would consider scoring the sheetrock on the backside, folding it in half and taking it down the steps.

Once in the basement, unfold the sheet, place the 'hinge' over a stud and screw it in place.

If the staircase isn't enclosed, I would consider removing the staircase before cutting an exterior wall. If you don't want to remove the stringers, you could sawzall/pry the nails of enough stairtreads to create a path to lower the sheetrock.

If your contractor can only suggest slotting an exterior wall, I would doubt his creative ability.

Old 02-27-04, 10:21 PM
Cut a hole in the exterior of the house!! ROFLMAO Don't know where you found this jackleg, but send him packin fast, hope you haven't paid any front $$!

Now if by chance you have vinyl windows, they aren't too difficult to take the sashes out of & put you rock in that way. We do that all the time on the little cookie cutter cut-up duplexes they build alot of these days.

Old 03-06-04, 09:10 PM
crossroads545
Visiting Guest
holey moley

no holes in house. can you cut the boards length wise and hinge? then you hinge will not have to land on a stud. hole in the house is like raising the house to fix a binding door......

Old 03-06-04, 09:13 PM
crossroads545
Visiting Guest
another thing

if you are or did install an egress window...take that out and you should have room. saved me on 6 basements .

Old 03-07-04, 06:05 PM
Rapid
Visiting Guest
FYIW, I talked to a contractor this weekend, and he says he has often cut a hole in the side of the house to get the drywall in.

Old 03-07-04, 08:02 PM
Where are you, Rapid? I would never let that clown anywhere near my house, or any friends, family, customers.......

Old 03-07-04, 08:11 PM
S
These so-called "contractors" are fudging a bit with their stories. I could see cutting through exterior sheathing before the Tyvek/siding/brick veneer is applied, but not after the Tyvek/sheathing/brick veneer is applied.

These contractor clowns may do this on new construction, but I wouldn't let them near an exisiting home.

Old 03-08-04, 06:16 AM
Rapid
Visiting Guest
I'm in Toronto, lot of timber framed housing. I know the contractor I talked to is well respected and succsesful, I know him through his commercial work, although I haven't used him.

He certianly sounded confidient about what he was talking about. He's also a whole house builder as well, so he's probably more at ease with repairing siding, etc.

Personally, I'm just going to struggle them down. Only 50 sheets.

Old 03-10-04, 10:44 AM
Sorry, maybe a little late on the response.

Guys its not that difficult. Its a basement which is still unfinished on one side. In the stairwell, just cut out a section of the finished drywall a couple of steps above the bottem. Slide it through that cut out section, of course from the backside pick a section that has no obstructions.

In the bigger scheme of things, when you are hanging & mudding 30 sheets of drywall, what is one more 16" section to hang & mud?

And I am not a contractor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: