crack in wall foundation

Old 02-27-04, 11:28 AM
peter-8
Visiting Guest
crack in wall foundation

I am finishing my basement, and I noticed a crack in the concrete wall foundation. I've been trying to decide what to do before I finish the wall and covere it up. Although there has been no water in the basement, I think I want to fill it before I do cover it up. What is the best way to fill it? The crack is from ceiling to floor, but not wide(less than 1/16"). Thanks

Old 02-27-04, 07:38 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
when did you first notice the crack? if it was more than a few years ago, and it hasn't grown, and you haven't had water in the basement, ever, then i would not worry about it too much. It might have just been the initial foundation settling. That happens to every house, to some degree or another.

Old 03-01-04, 08:46 AM
peter-8
Visiting Guest
Sorry I wasn't clear. The house is 2yrs old, but we moved into a few months ago...so, I don't really know how long the crack has been there. From what I see, there is no evidence that water has been in the basement...I see no water marks.

Old 03-01-04, 09:02 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
You need to determine the casue of the crack. Was the soil properly prepared for the foundation? Patching a crack without treating the cause will be a waste of time.

Old 03-05-04, 02:03 PM
jdbauer
Visiting Guest
Water in Basement

I have a 50+ year old house and I have been in the house for 3 years. I get water in the basement in a few areas. I have corrected / slowed the water down in several of the spots by building a slope around the foundation. I can tell the cracks have been repaired / doctored up and painted over in the past. I am about to add a bathroom in my basement and I have one repaired crack that I feel I need to fix because it is very close to one on the walls I am going to finish and I would like to take care of it now. I feel I have to attach this from the inside because I am unable to do anything from the ourtside because it is under my portch and I dont have mutch room to work with. The water is comming in the a tiny hole praking out through the paint. From what I can tell under layers of paint it appears to be an area about 6 inches wide that has been repaired so I dont imagine the crack is that deep. I am thinking of repairing it with a kit sold at my local HD. I think it calls for breaking out the loose concrete and filling it back up with a mix and then paint over it again. Any advice on repairing this? Anyone had a similar situation that could tell me more? Thanks

Old 03-06-04, 10:19 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
jd you should really start a new post for your questions. There is no real solution to water coming through a basement wall that is performed from the inside. All of those interior fixes work nicely for surface dampness and covering up the actual problem, but that is it. The best solution is to get access from the outside.

Old 03-07-04, 04:08 PM
jesbasementsyst
Visiting Guest
A lot of the solution depends on the foundation type and the direction of the crack. Hopefully, this will help.

Poured Concrete Wall

Poured walls will often develop a verticle crack in the early stages after construction (first few years). This is due to shrinkage in the concrete (when concrete dries, it evaporates water causing it to shrink in size) This is not of a structural concern. Your local home improvement store can supply an epoxy product to fill the crack.

Block/Brick Foundations

These type of foudnation will develop several different types of cracks. If the crack runs horizontal across the wall or develops a stairstep-type pattern (across the top of one block, down the side of the next, and so on) - the source of the problem is from lateral pressure. The wall is being pushed inwards. I would recommend having a professional examine the situation to determine if its a structural concern or not. Strucutral engineers will give you an unbiased opinion, but charge for their services. Most foundation repair companies offer free inspections, but you have to feel comfortable they are not trying to jsut "sell you something".

If the cracks run verticle and break through the block/brick, this is from settlement. Obviously, the block/brick will not crack like this naturally unless force is placed upon it. With the age of the home, I would contact a professional, as well as the builder to evaluate the situation. Simply patching this will be useless.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: