Basement Low Ceiling

Old 03-04-04, 11:05 AM
Mkuriawa
Visiting Guest
Basement Low Ceiling

We recently moved into a ranch built in 1957, the only issue I have with house after it has been remodeled is the low ceiling height in the basement. We should have jacked up the house and added some block when we did the addition but the issue was never addressed so that is out of the question now. With a max height of 6 ' 8" to the joists and only 6 Ft at the main beam are there any other alternatives for picking up about another 4 " of height? I was thinking about perhaps breaking up the floor and going down another 4 inches, anyone ever done this? My father in law is a cement mason so getting a new floor poured would not be an issue. Just wondering what ill effects it could possibly have, the basement is roughly 1000 FT and completely open but it is hard to make use of the space when you can not walk from one side to other without smacking the old head.

Thought? Suggestions?

Old 03-04-04, 12:24 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Probably too late. Live with it.

You are correct that jacking up the building would be a good option. Not as easy as it seems. Keep in mind that plumbing pipes don't stretch. So you might have had to spend time living elsewhere.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: