Old 03-07-04, 03:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

What shoud I do?
I have a 50+ year old house and I have been in the house for 3 years. I get water in the basement in a few areas. I have corrected / slowed the water down in several of the spots by building a slope around the foundation. I can tell the cracks have been repaired / doctored up and painted over in the past. I am about to add a bathroom in my basement and I have one repaired crack that I feel I need to fix because it is very close to one of the walls I am going to finish and I would like to take care of it now. I feel I have to attack this from the inside because I am unable to do anything from the ourtside because it is under my portch and I dont have mutch room to work with. The water is comming in the a tiny hole peaking out through the paint. From what I can tell under layers of paint it appears to be an area about 6 inches wide that has been repaired so I dont imagine the crack is that deep. I am thinking of repairing it with a kit sold at my local HD. I think it calls for breaking out the loose concrete and filling it back up with a mix and then paint over it again. Any advice on repairing this? Anyone had a similar situation that could tell me more? Soon when it drys I will try and slope the dirt under the portch 2-3 feet from the foundation but I think that is all I can do under there. Thanks
Old 03-09-04, 06:03 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 9,927
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: jdbauer

Some basements are more prone to water leaks than others, because of the water table outside. Water table means the rise in the underground water level.

Since the effected are is under a porch where there isn't much room, as you state, adding a "French Drain" to the outside may work.

French Drains term may be or may not be the correct name for these types of drains in your area. Basically, a 4-6 inch PVC pipe with holes in it to allow water to entire as the water table rises.

Inquire a local building materials or lumber yard in your area for the types and styles of piping needed. There are some special methods to installing these types of under ground drains.

Trenches are dug, pipes are installed with gravel above and below the pipes. The pipes of course have to be angled away from the house and away from the source of the water.

Usually easy to install if there is an incline (slope) away from the effected area. If not, a buried well sump pump may be needed. Which can also be installed in the basement and water can be pumped into the sewage system, if on city sewage and if local codes allow for such.

Best to check with several local licensed plumbers and the city office in your area prior to the start of the job. May need permits, etc.

Regards & Good Luck
Sharp Advice
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: