mould on foundation walls?

Old 03-30-04, 09:38 PM
cellarchef
Visiting Guest
mould on foundation walls?

recently i removed the insulation against my foundation wall due to the fact that it was done very poorly and there apeared to be mould on the drywall. After removing the insulation I found a very light, fluffy white substance. looks like it could be mould, but it contains lots of crystals. could it be anything else? Along with the fluff, there is lots or white powder on the walls. Any ideas? I want to re insulate and frame the wall so I want to make sure that I clean it properly.

Old 03-31-04, 12:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wont say for sure but I dont think its mold. Id have it tested sounds like what we get on the cement walls here and in the inside of fireplaces Its like a white power crystline form out of the walls and out of mortar.
ED

Old 03-31-04, 04:54 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
EFFLORESCENCE - (of salts) come to the surface of brickwork or other masonry material and crystallize. Efflorescence is an indication of moisture penetration through masonry materials. Which means it is not mold or mildew, however, mold and mildew is a direct result of moisture. So if moisture continues to penetrate the masonry wall, this condition increases the probability of mold and mildew. In other words, the efflorescence maybe the prelude to having mold and mildew inside the studded wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: