How do I mount wall under steel i beam ?

Old 03-31-04, 11:30 AM
Rapid
Visiting Guest
How do I mount wall under steel i beam ?

I'm steel framing my basement and I want to run a wall underneath a steel beam, along the length of it. How can I mount the header track to the beam.

I thought of liqud nails, but my Dad thinks it would 'creak' given the different expansion/contraction rates of the beam and the wall underneath.

Are there any issues with screwing a 2x4 to it, or is shoting holes in a supporting beam a no-no?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-04, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Go how you want on the beam. Drill and small bolts ok there . You dont need as many as you think4' to 6' on center. I think I still would put some liquid nail on it
ED

Old 04-02-04, 03:18 PM
buzbomb
Visiting Guest
u can shoot 2x's to beam with hilti or ramset. 1 1/2 pins
with yellow or green shots

Old 04-02-04, 10:15 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
Rapid, this is what I do for a living, so here it goes.
You can rent or buy a powder actuated tool (shotgun) at Home Depot. For steel fastening, you wil need .32 caliber loads and 1/2" steel pins. Shoot the track to the steel beam 16" apart, (this keeps the track from moving and loosening up.) Shoot 2 at both ends of the track and 16" apart on opposite sides. If you need more help give me a haller. Good Luck.

Old 04-06-04, 01:07 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Check with the building dept

Where I live they allowed me to use liquid nails and a "plumbing" strap over the top to secure it as long as the wall is non load bearing. Shooting them in with the hilti gun is great and definately a more solid solution but if you don't have to do it why bother with it.

Old 04-06-04, 02:16 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
Re: Check with the building dept

[/B][/QUOTE]
Shooting them in with the hilti gun is great and definaltely a more solid solution but if you don't have to do it why bother with it.

Unique, you just answered your own question. It is a more solid solution, because this is the proper way to attach to a steel beam when using metal studs. If an inspector let you get by with anything less, he should not be allowed to inspect a dog house. Not attacking you Unique, I am a steel framer, and I know how to secure and fasten metal studfs to just about any surface out there, because I was trained how to do it, and why it was done that way. I've been on jobs that were framed 20 + years ago, doing remodels, and the pins have never loosened, or pulled out. That is why they are used.