water in basement

Old 04-04-04, 11:46 AM
Honeydews4me
Visiting Guest
water in basement

Read through the other responses and did not see a response for my question, so at the point of being redundant on this popular subject....

We just had a 6''of rainfall over an 8 hour period, I ended up with 5'' of water in the basement. This is a new home for us, the outside is great I recently regraded, exteded drainlines and cleaned the gutters.

House is located on a hill and unfortunatley our driveway slopes towards the house, there are however no signs of water in the basement on the driveway side. The house does not have french drains or sump.

No problems with water before, even though we have a cellar walkout. So I am guessing that the volume of rain in short period coupled with water running down my driveway oversaturated the ground causing water to come up through the hairline cracks in the slab and at any gaps between walls and slab.

Have used hydralic cement in the past for vertical walls, is this a good remedy for the gaps between walls at slab? Can I use a waterproofsealant like Drylok on the hairline cracks or do they need to be chisled out and filled? Are there any solutions for the sloping driveway that do not require refinancing?

Old 04-04-04, 07:07 PM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
Can you see where the water is coming in? The water that was in the basement after heavy rain at my place was coming in through the window frame because the window well was filled.

Old 04-08-04, 04:03 PM
Honeydews4me
Visiting Guest
Sorry for my tardy response was out of town on business, No window wells for the basement. Looks like the water came up through a hairline crack that runs about 15 ft accross the slab and through a gap between the slab and the wall

Old 04-09-04, 06:55 AM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
Then I would definetly try to get a french drain and sump going. Since you have water under the slab.

That's what this house had and they tried to add cement to the floor to no avail, therefore had to add weeping tiles(french drain) and it works like a charm.

Sump turns on every 10 mins in springtime.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: