replacing existing crawl with a full basement

Old 06-28-04, 09:09 AM
dougor
Visiting Guest
Question replacing existing crawl with a full basement

I am located north of chicago and am trying to locate places to bid on replacing my 4 foot crawl with a full basement ideally a 9 foot. I read thru lots of the threads and saw some positives and negatives to doing this, but it seems like the least expensive bang for the buck to getting some additional space.... the value of my house is decrease because virutally all houses in the area have basements... so I am pretty confident that I will get the money back when I choose to resell....

Any thoughts on how to go about finding a good company... I am not sure if it is any old concrete company or I need a general contractor or what? Good or bad experiences?

Old 06-28-04, 09:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dougor,

Best to call a good concrete man - they can help with this. It won't be cheap!

Good Luck!

Old 06-29-04, 12:36 PM
dougor
Visiting Guest
So a concrete man... is that any old place that does concrete? I am having trouble with finding people that would have years of experience with doing this. When you say expensive... whats your ball park?

Old 06-29-04, 04:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dougor,

What you are proposing is allot of money. I would venture to say that it could cost you $200 - $350 per lineal foot. This is a "ball park" price. A good concrete/masonry contractor could review what you have now, determine the overall cost, equipment accessibility and other associated issues.

As you can tell, unless this is for an improvment that would increase the property value, i.e. bedrooms, bath, this may be a viable option. Many times, the overall project is so "cost prohibitive" and many choose not to invest such a large amount for minimal return.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-30-04, 12:55 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
This is what i did:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...208#post561208

It was a lot of work, but it was well worth it. Plan on spending twice as much as you thought you would, because you will.

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 06-30-04 at 08:56 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: