Attic ladder options

Old 07-13-04, 05:17 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Attic ladder options

I want to be able to install an attic ladder, but all the ones I've seen at Lowe's and Home Depot are the fold out ones that need plenty of room to fold out and touch the floor. Unfortunately I've got limited space under my attic opening because my upstairs hallway is shaped odd. I've also seen fancier ladders that slide out and have weights(?) on TV.

I have limited space in the attic between the opening of the attic and the panels for the roof. Right now I just use a step ladder to get up there. I was wondering if there are other options where I can install a permanent, well built, ladder for ease and aesthetics. When I got the house all it had was a piece of drywall that was fashioned to fit to the opening to the attic and a few screws keeping it in place. Any ideas on ladders and what stores I should look at? Or is this a custom job?

Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-04, 07:45 AM
Churchguy
Visiting Guest
One possibility you could do is to install a hanging ladder. Baiscally what you see in swimming pools. If you have as little room as you've described, it may be the answer you need. I'm not sure where you'd get one from, but where I used to work had a hanging ladder going in the attic. It wasn't rope or chain, but a solid metal ladder with about 3" steps. The ladder itself was metal, probably alluminum, and coated with a white enamel. It was functional and economical. They also had limited space to get into the attic. Just one possibility. It may have been custom, I don't know, but the ladder rested on the floor and the rafter, and was stored in the attic. Hope the idea helps you.

Old 12-18-06, 05:30 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Go BAck to Lowe's

Originally Posted by Savage View Post
I want to be able to install an attic ladder, but all the ones I've seen at Lowe's and Home Depot are the fold out ones that need plenty of room to fold out and touch the floor. Unfortunately I've got limited space under my attic opening because my upstairs hallway is shaped odd. I've also seen fancier ladders that slide out and have weights(?) on TV.

I have limited space in the attic between the opening of the attic and the panels for the roof. Right now I just use a step ladder to get up there. I was wondering if there are other options where I can install a permanent, well built, ladder for ease and aesthetics. When I got the house all it had was a piece of drywall that was fashioned to fit to the opening to the attic and a few screws keeping it in place. Any ideas on ladders and what stores I should look at? Or is this a custom job?

Thanks for any info.
Go back to Lowe's and check again. I was in last weekend and saw a telescoping pull down set of steps that had never been in stock before. They fit in a roughly 22"x22" hole and you simply pull straight down and they telescope out.