Bottom Plate Question

Old 07-21-04, 07:37 PM
bentjen1
Visiting Guest
Question Bottom Plate Question

Hey Everyone
I'm starting to plan out my basement and want to beging finishing it several months from now. I've watched videos and read books regarding basement finishes, so I just wanted to get everyone's advice on here. What is the best way to attach the P/T bottom plate to the concrete floor? I've seen where they use a powder actuated fastener to attach it, then i've seen just using a hammer drill w/ a masonry bit to drill a hole. Basically I just want to know what everyone else has used, what type of fastener, bit, screw, etc.

Thanks for all of your help, I've come to realize this discussion board will help me out a lot in the future.

Old 07-21-04, 11:45 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tap-Cons and a hammer drill is what I've found easiest....well....unless you DO have the powder actuated gun, then of course that is easier as far as labor, but tap-cons work well and may hold better than a powder driven nail, but I'm not sure of this as I haven't dealt alot with the PA guns.

Old 07-21-04, 11:50 PM
J
did a little search and found the company that makes tapcon screws... looks like they have about 50 different ways to attach to concrete....may be a good place to start making your decision.

I couldn't get the link to work but its: "confast.com"

Old 07-22-04, 06:25 AM
I am in the same mode (preparing to finish my basement) the existing bottom plates are attached with hard cut masonary nails. Is that per code? That seems like the cheapest /easiest way, but long term is it the best?

Any thoughts?

abkent

Old 07-22-04, 11:26 AM
A
I used Red Heads

I was considering using the "hilti" shots but I changed my mind...Long story..Anyhow I just did this a month or so ago and I used "Red Heads". They are sort of similar to tap cons. They require you to drill the hole and pound the fastener into the hole then tighten the nut. It sounds pretty simple till you do like 80 in a weekend. Then you wake up monday morning very stiff and sore.

Last edited by A_unique_name; 07-22-04 at 11:27 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-24-04, 01:01 PM
bentjen1
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help & suggestions. I checked out the tapcons and decided i'd go that route. I put in my order for them today.

thanks

Old 07-24-04, 01:15 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
I do not recomend Tapcons.I have tried it and found that they suck. One third of them snap off, one third of them strip out the hole, and the rest work ok. Power nailing with a cheap remington power nailer worked everytime for me.

Old 07-25-04, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

With Abkent here. We just set the P/T bottom plate with the hard cut masonary nails is all.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: