Basement Mold/Mildew Prevention

Old 07-26-04, 06:50 PM
Wallw
Visiting Guest
Basement Mold/Mildew Prevention

My basement suffered from a lack of adequate gutter drainage and has therefore caused my basement walls to show mold/mildew. I have taken care of the drainage problem but now have to deal with the basement walls. They have already been painted once so I was told that the UGI Dry-LOK product is not appropriate. Any tips on what will work well? How should I prep the walls? What should I use to seal them, etc.? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

WallW

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-04, 09:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

I would try and sand blast them or brush them down with a steel brush. So you could put dry lok on for sure.

ED

Old 07-27-04, 07:14 PM
Wallw
Visiting Guest
Question

A Lowes rep told me today to try Sunnydry (a powder mix) instead of Drylok - since my walls are already painted. The Sunnydry product is suppose to be like Thorseal (or something like that). Would this do just as good as a job then the drylok - since that would require a major effort in sandblasting. I don't think the wire brush would remove all the apint. Does all the paint have to be removed for Drylok to be effective?

Old 07-27-04, 07:31 PM
Wallw
Visiting Guest
Question Basement Mold/Mildew Prevention

A Lowes rep said to try a product called SUnny Dry (suppose to the Thorseal product). Anyway, it is a powedr that must be mixed and then applied in a "whitewash" fashion. Has anyone heard of this? Or is sandblasting/wirebrushing and drylok the best way to go?

If sandblastring is the best (which I think it is since I tried the wirebrush and it could take awhile) - Where sdo I get the right tools?

Old 07-30-04, 02:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Look up any tool rental they have them. I like Drylok and also Thorseal both good . But you have to have the paint off the walls. Thorseal not to hard to mix go at it slow its base is white cement .

ED