Do I cover my floor drain?

Old 08-06-04, 04:14 AM
InOverMyHead
Visiting Guest
Question Do I cover my floor drain?

I am finishing my basement and plan on putting in carpet. I am not sure what I should do with my floor drain. Cover it with carpeting? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-04, 12:28 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you talking about a sump pump pit? If you are, don't cover it permanently
If water table starts to rise, you'll need it for the pump or it'll flood your basement. Make a solid 3/4 plywood lid for it and glue carpeting on top.

Old 08-06-04, 12:38 PM
InOverMyHead
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your answer. I am not talking about the sump pump pit.
There is a 4" hole in the middle of the basement that has a drain cover. I assumed that this was a drain. Is it somehting else?

Old 12-22-04, 11:14 AM
ennovy88
Visiting Guest
Hi InOverMyHead,

I have two 4" holes which are covered with drain covers and initially wanted them covered when I had the basement tiled and the contractor was against it........thank goodness I didn't ....because recently a water pipe burst and the drains prevented the water from pooling in the basement and also prevented furniture from being damaged....

Old 12-22-04, 11:23 AM
A floor drain has a trap installed in it and if water is not added to this trap periodically you will be allowing sewer gas to enter your living space. This happens when the trap dries out. The water within the trap acts as a seal against the intrusion of these gasses.

Old 12-22-04, 12:47 PM
M
Originally Posted by majakdragon
A floor drain has a trap installed in it and if water is not added to this trap periodically you will be allowing sewer gas to enter your living space. This happens when the trap dries out. The water within the trap acts as a seal against the intrusion of these gasses.
Dragon, you lost me... Are basement floor drains usually tied into your sewer system? I thought they drained to the foundation perimeter.

Old 12-22-04, 01:12 PM
Most basement floor drains are tied into the sewer system. If they are not tied into the sewer system then you have to have a sump pump to pump the water out. The problem with tying into a perimeter drain is that anything solid(mop string, paper,lint..ect) would clog the permieter drain. These type of drains do not have cleanouts. If the perimeter drain were to clog you would have to dig it up to clean it out.

Hope this explains things better, if not please reply back and we will try to answer further.

Old 12-27-04, 05:48 AM
ennovy88
Visiting Guest
floor drains

Hi Majakdragon.......u mentioned that a floor drain has a trap installed in it and if water is not added to this trap periodically you will be allowing sewer gas to enter your living space......we never added water to the drain...we just see it as drain to catch water in the event of overflow... how would I know if a trap is installed...once my husband removed the cap and we saw just a bunch of rocks below.

Old 12-27-04, 06:04 AM
Rocks may be from someone sweeping or washing them down to the drain. Pour about a gallon or so of water down into the floor drain. You should be able to see water when you look down into it. Since you see rocks, take a broom handle and stick it in the drain and tap. See it the sound is hollow.That would be from the piping. It is not impossible that some of the much older homes had French Drains. This is just stones in a hole and the water filters down when it needs to. However, houses that have had inspections are not usually allowed to do this. Good luck and let us know what you find.